Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hill Sprints in Pool?

Got my butt kicked in the pool today at the end of practice. After swimming 1600m, the coach had me do 25x8 all out sprints with 10 sec rests between. My first one was 35 sec, the last one was 27. I also learned how to push off under water - much faster start!

The last couple of weeks of training went well, including a sub-2 hour ride of the race course. I was really happy because I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do that on my mountain bike, but I did, and still had plenty of gas in the "tank."

I may have the use of a road bike for the next couple of weeks, including race day. A friend has offered to lend me hers, but it's going to need new tires and a tune up - hopefully minor. Her brother who is an avid cyclist is checking it out for me. Am I being optimistic to think I can pull off riding a different bike with just 2-3 weeks of training rides prior to race day?

Running is back on track. I was having a hard time getting motivated, but I just got a Garmin 305 which, at this point in the game, I think helps keep me honest. I'm looking forward to running the race course on Saturday for my long run.

I'm also planning to spend some time open water swimming this weekend. I'm still a little anxious about the swim, so I thought I would just take my mask, snorkel and fins and cruise the "track" just to familiarize myself with the area beforehand. My first full brick is the weekend after next and I need to get more time in the water before then.


No comments:

Post a Comment