Sunday, May 16, 2010

Interesting "Course" of Events

Today I ran the run course for my upcoming race. It was a beautiful morning, but still very warm (80s) and I'm glad I had my sports bottle with me. The course is a very hilly out-and-back from Wailea to Makena, mostly along the ocean. I'm hoping for some light cloud cover and ocean breezes on race day.

On the way back, I learned Lesson #1 of the morning. There was a porta-pottie at one of the parks along the route and as I approached it I found it necessary to make a stop. OMG - it must have been 130 degrees in that sweat box. Plus, I was completely sweaty and (now don't laugh!) the toilet paper I had placed on the seat practically glued itself to my legs completely negating it's intended purpose. I managed to get what I hoped was ALL of the TP off of me and continued on my way.

Lesson #1: Do not use porta-potties on race day if you absolutely don't have to.

Then I quickly learned Lesson #2. Today I ran with my iPod, which I normally don't do, but I've been having a little trouble with running motivation, so I carried on with the volume down low. I was completely in the "zone" as I ran along when another runner came up on my right and shouted a cheerful greeting. I squeaked like a scared rabbit, startling myself and him (I'm one of those people who startle easy anyway). I apologized and so did he. Turns out he was an Ironman visiting from the mainland and was out for his long run. He laughed because he said, "You definitely got an adrenalin rush out of that one because your pace picked right up!" We chit-chatted for a little bit, he wished me well on my race, and we went on our separate ways.

Lesson #2: Do not run with iPod any more!

I thought I was done with my lessons for the day, but was to quickly get Lesson #3. I finished my run at Wailea Beach where I had parked my car. I decided to grab my goggles and cap and go out to the beach for a cool down swim and practice a few entry/exits. It was a beautiful day, the water was calm, and there were only a handful of swimmers, snorkelers and SUPs out in the water. I get my gear on, make sure the coast is clear, and swim out about 50y. I pop my head up to sight and from out of nowhere this guy on an SUP appears and I take a hit to the jaw from the tip of his board. He got a serious verbal thrashing from me (because SUPs are supposed to look out for and yield to swimmers near shore) and I headed back in. When I could touch bottom I stood up and touched my lip and came away with a handful of blood - I did not realize he'd busted my lip! Thankfully, I had all my teeth, and I am VERY THANKFUL that he did not hit me in the head and it wasn't any worse.

Lesson #3: Even on a clear, uncrowded day, beware of water dangers and take a bodyguard!

I think I need a brightly colored swim cap for OWS.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You got hit by a SUP! Crazy! I chipped a tooth in a kayak fight once, but I was also in a kayak.

    Did you buy a new swim cap?

    ReplyDelete