Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cheating and the Consequences

No, I did not cheat on a race, test or my husband. I'm not talking about the "bad" kind of cheating (and,yes, there are two kinds).  I'm talking about the "not as bad" kind of cheating that doesn't hurt anyone but yourself.  You know the kind...when you eat something you really, really shouldn't.

Well, the Paleo spirits must have been really pissed off at me this weekend.  You see, I cheated on them and they kicked up a real fuss.  I ate pancakes at IHOP.

I know, you are probably thinking, "Really?  How bad could that be?  You ate PANCAKES?!?"  Since I've been eating Paleo, I've touched very little non-Paleo food.  No bread.  No oatmeal.  Not even a granola bar or bowl of cereal.  And certainly NOT pancakes.

This past Saturday I ran a 5K with some of my friends from work.  I was pretty proud of myself, as I finished in under 30 minutes and shaved 2 minutes off my time from last year.  (Remember, I'm not fast, just consistent!)  After the race we decided to go have breakfast, which is difficult for me because there are not a lot of options for a restaurant paleo breakfast around here (or a healthy breakfast of any kind!), but I really wanted to go and thought that some eggs and a couple of pancakes wouldn't kill me.  We had a great time, I had eggs, ham and nearly half a stack of pancakes.  It seemed like a good idea at the time. 

But I was punished...my stomach does not like this Sam I Am...and I was sick later that afternoon and most of the next day with lower GI issues.  Not conducive to a Sunday long run, so I missed my workout.  And learned a lesson. 

I can't say definitively if it was the pancakes or something else that set me off, but I sure felt better when I returned to my standard paleo eating plan.

I'll know better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment